From band-owned record labels and fan-owned sports teams to credit unions, community-owned grocery stores and farmer-controlled dairy foods businesses, all co-operative enterprises are branches of the same family tree - and all are firmly rooted in the philosophy of people and planet before profit.
Built on the principles of equality, democracy and sustainibility, co-ops around the globe are united in building a better world for ALL.
- Over 1,000,000,000 members
- 2.6 million co-operatives worldwide
- Co-operatives provide work for 10% of
the world's employed population
- Together, cooperatives around the world generate 2.96 Trillion (USD) in annual revenue, equivalent to 4.3% of global GDP
- There are 68,000 credit unions across 109 countries in the world today.
- 6,413: approximate number of co-ops in Canada, with a total of 17.4 million members
- This results in 50.8% of all Canadians being members of at least one co-operative
- The number of co-operative banks and credit unions is approx. 771
- 7 University Research Centres on Co-ops & mutuals, 10 University programs, 180 informal training programs.
- Twice as many co-ops remain in business after 10 years as other business enterprises
- The United Nations estimated in 1994 that the livelihood of nearly 3 billion people, or half of the world's population, was made secure by co-operative enterprise
- A 2007 study by the World Council of Credit Unions found that the 5-year survival rate of co-operatives in the U.S.A. was 90% - compared to 3-5% for traditional businesses
- The Co-operative model is the only business model in the world to follow an internationally-recognized set of principles. Read the 7 co-op principles here!
LINKS & RESOURCES
Education Program Coordinator Position.
Click icon to view Job Description
"In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed."
- Charles Darwin